If you’re looking for the best gifts for seniors, particularly gifts for someone homebound, you’ve landed on the right blog. Shopping for seniors can be difficult because they may seem to have already accumulated everything they need. It is likely, however, that they could benefit from items they never knew that they needed or even existed.
As a simple example, maybe your elderly father has always used a manual can opener and never thought to buy himself an electric one, which would make an easy gift. Maybe that doesn’t seem like one of the best gifts for elderly parents on their birthday, but it could make a big impact on their daily life!
Whether it’s their birthday, a special occasion, or a holiday, we’ve listed the 7 best gifts for senior adults, particularly gifts for someone homebound. Ready to find a unique gift for your aging loved one?
7 Gift Ideas for Homebound Seniors
1. Subscription Box
Sick or not, getting a package in the mail is exciting! There are so many different subscription box options available that suit a range of needs and interests. Here are a few kinds to consider ordering as a gift for shut-in seniors:
- Caring Crate. A monthly subscription box designed to help recipients take time for self-care and nourish their mental health.
- The Mental Wealth Box. Each box comes with 4-6 curated products that provide knowledge, tools, and activities to better understand anxiety, depression, and more.
- The Silver Swag Box. This box was designed to help busy families send love and stay connected to elderly loved ones with a curated selection of fun and practical items.
2. Food Delivery Subscription
Food delivery subscriptions are a great gift idea for homebound seniors. Whether they prefer getting pre-made meals delivered or just the ingredients and recipes, there’s an option for them!
- Daily Harvest. Get smoothies, pre-made bowls, soups, lattes, and even ice cream options that are all dairy free.
- Freshly. Each Freshly meal is portioned for 1 person to enjoy. These fully-prepared, dietary-conscious meals are delivered fresh, and ready to eat in 3 minutes.
- HelloFresh. HelloFresh delivers step-by-step recipes and fresh, pre-portioned ingredients right to your door.
3. Foot Spa
A foot spa can be part of a luxurious self-care regime, and for those with chronic pain, it may also help soothe aching muscles. Whether your aging loved one is on their feet a lot or restricted to a wheelchair, a foot spa massages sensitive areas of the feet to release tension and relieve pain.
4. Weighted or Heated Blanket
A weighted blanket promotes deeper sleep, calms nerves, provides comfort, and is known to help with anxiety and depression. Electric blankets are another good gift idea for homebound persons. A heated blanket will keep them warm and may even relieve cold-related flare-ups.
5. Overbed Table
A table that juts out over your bed can be a very useful gift for someone who is homebound. It helps keep your phone, meals, medications, drinks, books, and other essential items all within arm’s reach. For seniors with a laptop or tablet, an overbed table is a more stable alternative to a lap desk where they can browse the internet or watch the news.
6. Brain Games
“Brain games” offer numerous health benefits for elderly adults. Some of these include crossword puzzles, word searches, jigsaw puzzles, and sudoku books. All of these games are smart gifts for someone homebound. In fact, the Alzheimer’s Society has recognized Sudoku as a helpful game that can even reduce the risk of dementia!
7. Non-slip Socks
Although not a glamorous gift for elderly parents, non-slip yoga socks are a practical gift that can help reduce the risk of falls. Non-slip socks have rubber grips on the bottom that can help keep seniors more stable, especially when walking on slippery surfaces like wood or tile.
Besides the subscription boxes, most of these gifts can easily be found on Amazon.com! We hope this list of the best gifts for seniors has helped you identify the perfect item for your aging loved one.